- Ride Type: ACP 400k
- Date: Saturday May 18th 2019
- Must be a current RUSA member to ride in this event.
- Fee: cash, or checks payable to Channel Islands Bicycle Club (CIBC) for $40, CIBC members deduct $5. Click here to become CIBC member. Be sure to make out a separate check for CIBC membership.
- Event Organizer: Kerin Huber (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Start Time: 0600h
- Registration: 0530h (but please pre-register online- it makes things much easier)
- Time Limit: 27 Hours
- Ride Ends: 9:00am on Sunday
- Route Map: (preliminary, subject to revision) https://ridewithgps.com/routes/26728868
- Cue Sheet: (preliminary, subject to revision) (XLS)
- Start Location: Starbucks, 6128 Telegraph Rd, Ventura, CA 93003
- Finish Location: Home of Linda and Larry Bott. 6274 Fremont St, Ventura, CA. This is 0.3 miles from start.
- Parking: It is suggested that you park on the street near the finish location, then ride to the start.
- Rider Reservation Form must be completed and submitted. Registration will be completed at the start. Please fill in the form completely to not cause a delay in registration.
- Rider Reservation List
Description: This is a challenging ride for those of you who like to climb in the remote mountains. It has over 16,000 ft of climbing, so it is perfect to help get you in shape for your big summer events.
The ride will start in Ventura, and head up to Ojai along the bike trail. Then you will follow highway 33 north of Ojai through Wheeler and Sespe Gorge, all the way to the Pine Mountain Summit where there will be a manned control. You will drop down off the summit to Lockwood Valley Road and climb up to the Lake of the Woods, Lebec area. You will now work your way to Castaic using Pine Mountain Rd and Lake Hughes Road. A flat trip west through the Heritage Valley will bring you back to Ventura for a staffed control at the 300k mark at the Bott home in Ventura. Here you can enjoy some hot food before you head out on the last 100k segment, which is a relatively flat out-and-back to Santa Barbara.
There will be a 300k brevet running at the same time- both rides start at the same time and share the same course for 300k. This will allow more riders the chance to ride together.
SAG: The control at Pine Mountain Summit and the control at the Bott’s house will be manned. There are stretches of 25-33 miles with no services and significant climbing. Be prepared to carry enough water with a Camelback or an extra bottle. There will be no SAG vehicle, but if you have a major mechanical you can call me and I will try to get to you eventually. In the spirit of randonneuring, plan on being self-sufficient. You may have no cell phone service along the remote sections of the route.